EM3050 Activity: Make a Puppet on a Stick
To connect with a favorite animal in our local area by creating a puppet on a stick; To share your passion with other people.
Local animal guides, photos of favorite animals, descriptions of favorite animals
3 Large pieces of paper (18 x 24) ideal, but smaller is ok!
A stick from outside, about 36 inches long
Recycled plastic bags or paper
Watercolors, markers, crayons, and/or tempera paints
- Do some research on local animals. Pick one you think is cool.
- On the first piece of paper, draw a draft of your animal. Do you want to make a puppet out of the whole animal? Just the head? Practice drawing in the features that make your animal special (every animal is special!).
- Once you know what you want to make, draw the image on one of the two remaining pieces of paper.
- Put the third piece of paper under the paper you drew your image on. Cutting both pieces at once, cut out your animal image.
- Tape the edges of the cut out image around ¾ of the image (leaving an opening to stuff your puppet). Use small lengths of tape so curves of animal can be maintained.
- Draw in some detail lines -- eyes, feathers, gills, etc., and then decorate with paints/crayons/markers. Let dry.
- When dry, stuff your puppet with crumpled newspaper or plastic bags.
- When you are happy with plumpness, insert stick and finish taping around the edge and around the stick.
- Paint on any final details.
Voila! A puppet on the stick! Now, go paint your face* and parade around your house and neighborhood!
*Caran d’Ache watercolor crayons make great face paint! Otherwise, feel free to use some mud or make up!
Share your photos, journal pages, thoughts, experiences, and/or feedback with us! Post on social media with hashtags:
#umbrellaarts #musketaquid #concordearthday #musketaquidearthday #earthday3050
Or email Caroline at email@example.com
Special thanks to our Earth Month sponsors