First Thursday Opening Reception: Dorothy Arnold

Dorothy Arnold: The Doffie Project's Culminating Exhibition to benefit The Umbrella Community Arts Center
January 12 - March 1, 2016

First Thursday Opening Reception: February 4 from 6:00-8:00


Celebrate the life's work and boundless energy of Dorothy "Doffie" Arnold during the First Thursday Opening Reception on February 4, 2016. Doffie's son, David Arnold, will be speaking at the event and her nephew, Tim Arnold, will perform in a string quartet.

Work from various periods of her life, including but not limited to large diptychs, paintings on paper, and ink drawings, will be displayed for the last time in this culminating exhibit of The Doffie Project. For the past two years, The Doffie Project has had three goals: to honor the legacy of Dorothy “Doffie” Arnold, to distribute the vast collection of work she created during a half century of painting, and to raise money for charities. 

Through the project, a vast selection of Doffie’s award-winning art has been made affordable. All profit from each sale has gone to the buyer’s choice of organization doing valuable work for the community. When buyers purchase artwork from the project, 80 percent is directly gifted toward a nonprofit of the buyer’s choice while the other 20 percent finances administration cost.  Since its inception two years ago, the Doffie Project has raised $180,000 for wide variety of charities such as YMCA, Charles River Conservancy, and The Home for Little Wanderers. Doffie is paying her passion and vitality forward.

80% of all proceeds in this culminating exhibition will benefit The Umbrella, supporting the arts education that was so important to Doffie. Her project lives the notion that the transformative power of the arts should be accessible to all.


02/04/2016 - 6:00pm
Event categories: