THE UMBRELLA ANNOUNCES FRESH, AND FORESHORTENED, 2021 SEASON
For Covid Reboot, a Short Season of Diverse, Relevant Titles
The Umbrella Stage Company has announced a revised roster of shows planned for its 2020-2021 season, as it retools its newly built theaters at 40 Stow Street to follow public health protocols.
With all in-person performances delayed until after the new year, the Company's shortened four-show season comprises four impactful titles.
• The Revolutionists - January 15 - 31, 2021
• War Paint - February 26 - March 21, 2021
• Detroit '67 - April 2-25, 2021
• Head Over Heels - May 14 - June 6, 2021
The Umbrella Stage Company had previously announced a different, six-show lineup, but as the closure continues, and the extensive requirements for reopening become clearer, the company has decided to re-prioritize and re-strategize.
In addition to the previously announced French revolution-themed comedy, The Revolutionists, and the dazzling musical War Paint, about pioneering entrepreneurs Elizabeth Arden and Helena Rubinstein, are two exciting new titles. Set against explosive Detroit riots of 1967, Dominique Morisseau's Detroit '67 has striking relevance for today's audiences. It will be directed by Michelle Aguillon. And wrapping up the season, under the direction of Brian Boruta, is the Boston premiere of Head Over Heels, a hilariously uplifting celebration of love set to the iconic music of 80s smash group, The Go-Gos!
The Umbrella Stage Company has announced it also intends to backfill the fall portion of the season with additional streaming and smaller venue or outdoor programming that can be presented with safe social distancing. It hopes to emphasize supporting new local playwrights and talent, and will release details later in 2020.
Press Releases & Media Materials
- Media Release: After Covid-Reboot, The Umbrella Announces Revised 2020-2021 Season
- Media Release: The Umbrella Presents Regional Premiere of The Bengson' Hundred Days
- Media Release: The Umbrella Brings Magical Tuck Everlasting to Area Audiences
- Media Release: Red Carpet Celebration Marks Grand Opening of The Umbrella Stage Company, New Theater
- Media Release: The Umbrella Stage Company Launches New Theater with 42nd Street
- Media Release: Umbrella Stage Company Season 12
- Stage Company Graphics for Media
- Video: Season 12 Announcement
- Media Release: The Umbrella Stage Company Launched as Greater Boston's Newest Professional Theater Company