Call for Applications: Artist-in-Residence
Applications for the 2020-2021 Artist-in-Residence Program are now closed.
A year long residency at The Umbrella Arts Center in Concord, MA offering free studio space
The Umbrella Arts Center in Concord, MA is proud to continue its Artist-in-Residence program for the 2020-2021 season. The Umbrella's Artist-in-Residence program offers a year long studio residency in a vibrant multidisciplinary art center with 50 artist studios, an independent ceramics classroom, makerspace, performance and gallery spaces in historic Concord, Massachusetts. Our Artists-in-Residence create new bodies of work for exhibition at the culmination of their residency and engage the greater Concord community in their practice throughout the year. Applicants must be within the first five years of finishing a BFA , MFA or equivalent training program.
Quick links to learn more about the program and our facility:
For the duration of the residency, the selected artist is offered:
- Free access to a recently renovated studio space of approximately 220 square feet with a large south facing window, beautiful hardwood floors and tall ceilings, and thermostat controlled heat and air conditioning.
- Opportunity to be involved in the activities and culture of a multi-disciplinary art center, including access to an independent ceramics studio and makerspace.
- The opportunity to exhibit in The Umbrella’s main gallery
We are looking for artists interested in active engagement with our studio artist community, in Concord and beyond. As part of the residency program, an accepted Artist-in-Residence is expected to:
- Make regular, active, and productive use of the studio space for the residency period of September 1, 2020 - August 15, 2021.
- Present a body of work created during your residency for exhibition.
- Present a minimum of two public programs of any format with the goal of engaging our community in your work.
- Participate in The Umbrella’s Winter Market event Open Studios event April 4-5, 2021.
- Make efforts to attend monthly Artist Meetings and other formal and informal artist events throughout the year.
- Actively document and share your residency experience via social media, blog posts, videos, photographs, etc.
- Maintain communication with Umbrella staff and participation in program evaluations.
All applications will be reviewed by a jury of The Umbrella’s staff and resident artists. The selected artist will be notified by May 1, 2020.
How To Apply
All applications must be submitted through Call for Entry (CaFE).
The application will require the following materials:
- Letter of interest in working at The Umbrella describing how the program will support your practice
- Artist Statement
- Artist Portfolio
- Artist resume or curriculum vitae with contact information
- High-resolution JPEGs of 10-20 pieces of work created within the past two years
- Image list with dimensions, medium, and date
- List of three references
- A $35 non-refundable application fee.
For inquiries for our 2021-2022 residency, please reach out to The Umbrella via email with your questions or to set up a time to chat further. Thanks for your interest!