Earth Month Exhibition Call for Art
February 13, 2023 by Stewart Ikeda
2023 Earth Month Exhibition
April 5 – 23, 2023
The Umbrella Arts Center Main Gallery
Reflections: Listening to Nature
Nature is full of reflections produced by light, water, and rocks. It is often the quality of light on a surface, of saturated color, or the whispers of a breeze that invite moments of personal reflection. Instances of being still and watching animals go about their daily activity. When we spend time in nature, how do the arts help us listen and learn? How do we share this experience with others through the arts? It’s common to feel disconnected from the climate change data, yet rebuilding connections between each other and the natural world is essential to sparking collective action.
Frequently referred to as a universal language, art can be the bridge between the hard reality of climate change, and the emotions we need to feel to take action. How has the way that we relate to the natural world created this crisis we find ourselves in? When we attune our senses to our local ecosystem, what can we learn?
Whether you use the arts as an outlet, a way to deepen your connection to the environment, or as a tool for change, we encourage you to submit your response to the theme - Reflections - through an art form of your choice.*
We invite people of all ages and experience to participate in this non-juried Earth Month Exhibit, which will run in The Umbrella Arts Center gallery from April 5 through April 23, 2023.
*Submissions may be in any physical artistic medium including but not limited to drawings, paintings, collage, prints, poetry, sculpture, mixed media, and photography, including photographic documentation of performative work. We can’t accommodate digital work that requires a screen or projector to display.
- Maximum of one work per artist
- All artwork must be original
- Art work may be 2D or 3D (we can’t accommodate digital work that requires a screen or projector to display)
- All artwork must be framed and ready to hang or stand sturdy on a pedestal or the floor
- For prose/poetry submissions: please submit two copies – one framed (if you want it to be displayed on the wall) and one paper copy in an envelope
- Artist must place any heavy sculpture
- All artwork must remain on display in the exhibit through the exhibit close date
- Click here to complete this form and email a photo of your artwork to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, March 31, 2023 to reserve your spot in the exhibit
ARTWORK DROP-OFF DATE:
- Artists must drop off their work in Room 109 at The Umbrella Arts Center on Sunday, April 2, between 12:00pm and 3:00pm ET
- Include two labels for your artwork submission
- Labels include: artist name, title of work, medium, and price (or NFS)
- Attach one label to the back of your artwork and bring the other label with you when you deliver your work on April 2
ARTWORK PICK-UP DATE:
- Artists must pick up their work in Room 109 at The Umbrella Arts Center Sunday, April 23, between 12:00pm and 3:00pm ET
- Artists are responsible for the delivery, pack, transport, and return of their artwork at their own risk and expense
- The Umbrella is not responsible for work that isn't picked up on time without advance arrangements
- If someone is interested in purchasing your piece, they will enter their information into the ‘artwork sales journal’ located in the gallery.
- The Umbrella takes a 20% commission on all sales
- All sold artwork must remain on display at the exhibit through the exhibit close date
- Buyers must pick up their artwork at The Umbrella at or following the closing of the exhibition
- The Umbrella does not ship artwork