Call for Art
2017-2018 Artist-in-Residence Applications Now Open!
A nine-month residency at The Umbrella Community Arts Center in Concord, MA. Free studio and housing provided.
The Umbrella Community Arts Center in Concord, MA is proud to continue its Artist-in-Residence program for 2017-2018. The program provides space and support for an emerging artist to develop their work while connecting to the Greater Boston art community.
This year, The Umbrella begins a long-awaited renovation that will bring welcome state-of-the-art changes for all to enjoy. Using an artistic approach, the selected 2017-2018 Artist-in-Residence should consider The Umbrella’s transformations as a point of departure for their own creativity during their nine month residency.
The Umbrella Community Arts Center occupies the former Emerson School building. Originally built in 1929, the building has long been an important historic and architectural landmark in downtown Concord. In the early 1980’s, a group of Concord volunteers and visionaries realized that the aging Emerson School building, slated for demolition, could be saved and converted into a community arts center. Since 1983, The Umbrella has supported a vibrant creative community by providing studio space, art education, community events, and theatrical performances.
• Free studio space of approximately 132 square feet for nine months.
• Free housing in a one bedroom cottage adjacent to The Umbrella for nine months.
• Participation in Winter Market on December 1, 2, and 3, 2017 and Open Studios on April and 8, 2018.
• Regular, active, and productive use of the studio space from September 15, 2017 through June 1, 2018.
• A finished project inspired by The Umbrella’s transformations by June 1, 2018.
• 3 evening presentations to the community: Sept 28, 2017 at 5:30pm, Jan 25, 2018 at 5:30pm, May 24, 2018 at 5:30pm.
• Monthly blog posts documenting their residency.
• Must be an emerging artist within five years of their most recent degree and not enrolled full-time in an academic program.
• Supported media include, but are not limited to: painting, works on paper, mixed media, performance art, photography, and video art.
• The studio does not support large scale 3-D work, ceramics, or any processes that create excessive noise or fumes.
• Project Proposal for creatively capturing The Umbrella’s renovation project.
• Artist statement
• Artist resume or curriculum vitae with contact information
• High-resolution JPEGs of 10-15 pieces of work created within the past two years
• All files must be labeled as follows: FirstName_LastName(1)
• Art list with dimensions, medium, and date
• List of three references
• A $35 non-refundable application fee
All applications will be reviewed by a jury of The Umbrella’s staff and resident artists. The selected artist will be notified by July 1, 2017. For more information, visit theumbrellaarts.org or email email@example.com