Call for Applications: Artist-in-Residence
Applications for the 2019-2020 Artist-in-Residence Program are now open!
A year long residency at The Umbrella Community Arts Center in Concord, MA offering free studio space and housing.
The Umbrella Community Arts Center in Concord, MA is proud to continue its Artist-in-Residence program for the 2019-2020 season. The Umbrella's Artist-in-Residence program offers a year long live / work residency in a vibrant multidisciplinary art center with 50 artist studios, an independent ceramics classroom, makerspace, performance and gallery spaces in historic Concord, Massachusetts. Our Artists-in-Residence create new bodies of work for exhibition at the culmination of their residency and engage the greater Concord community in their practice throughout the year. Applicants must be within the first five years of finishing a BFA , MFA or equivalent training program.
Quick links to learn more about the program and our facility:
Residency Award & Requirements
- For the duration of the residency, the selected artist is offered:
- Free recently renovated studio space of approximately 220 square feet with a large south facing window, beautiful hardwood floors and tall ceilings, and thermostat controlled heat and air conditioning.
- Free housing in a one bedroom cottage adjacent to the studio space.
- Opportunity to be involved in the activities and culture of a multi-disciplinary art center, including access to an independent ceramics studio and makerspace.
As part of the residency program, an accepted Artist-in-Residence is expected to:
- Make regular, active, and productive use of the studio space for the residency period of September 1 2019 - August 15 2020.
- Present a body of work created during your residency for exhibition in Aug/Sept 2020.
- Present a minimum of three public programs of any format with the goal of engaging our community in your work. Additionally participate in The Umbrella’s Open Studios event April 4th & 5th, 2020.
- Make efforts to attend monthly Artist Meetings and other formal and informal artist events throughout the year.
- Actively document and share your residency experience via social media, blog posts, videos, photographs, etc.
- Maintain communication with Umbrella staff and participation in program evaluations.
Applications must be submitted via Call for Entry (CaFE) here by March 31 2019.
All applications will be reviewed by a jury of The Umbrella’s staff and resident artists. The selected artist will be notified by June 1, 2019.
We welcome conversation with potential applicants to answer any of your questions or concerns about our program, facility or the application process. Please reach out to program manager Jess Muise via email with your questions or to set up a time to chat further. Thanks for your interest!