Through renovations and the removal and rebuilding of the main theater wing in conjunction with all-inclusive upgrades to operating systems, landscaping and a new parking plan, The Umbrella Community Arts Center will be transformed into a dynamic, state-of-the-art center for artistic expression and enjoyment.
The new physical setting will allow The Umbrella to fulfill its mission to “enrich lives and build a vibrant community through the arts.” Central to this mission is our view shared by educators that success in the 21st century will require competency in four areas, the 4 C’s of contemporary educational theory – critical thinking, communication, collaboration and creative thinking. These competencies are also at the heart of the artistic process which encourages personal expression, curiosity, innovation and imagination.
The estimated project cost is $20 million, which will be raised primarily from private sources.
The Umbrella will:
- Serve as “Concord’s living room”: A place where the community gathers to share, socialize and be inspired in an open, well-lit and inviting space.
- Comply fully with accessibility and code requirements, making art available to everyone
- Place arts education at the center of our mission
- Create a state-of-the-art performing arts center to serve our region
- Support active, local artists in the presentation and dissemination of their work