STEAM Instructors - Winter and Spring 2017
September 27, 2016 by Danielle
Description: The Umbrella Community Arts Center is seeking talented teachers for our Winter 2017 after-school, school vacation week programs and course catalog. Particular focus for new programming initiatives will bring together the fields of science, technology, engineering, math and the arts to build on our STEAM curriculum for youth ages 4-18 years old. Project or goal orientated proposals that incorporate multiple disciplines and creative and critical thinking are desired. Additional opportunities exist for intergenerational workshops. The Umbrella seeks to provide a curriculum for 21st century learning that offers opportunities to solve problems explore materials and inspire creativity.
In the Winter semester (January – March) youth and family courses are offered after school 2-6pm and on weekends. Course proposals should be focused and concise. In general, classes are long-term explorations of an art form and/or process that give students an opportunity to both learn and develop skills. Classes can be run in 10, 8, or 6 week increments.
Workshops can be from 1-6 hours. They should offer an introduction to a subject or technique or provide an opportunity for a concise project-based lesson.
Priority Subjects 2017 are:
- Coding and Programming
- Animation and Stop-Motion
- Robotics and Engineering
- Digital Art and Design
*Note: Other disciplines and project based skills considered. Priority given to teachers who can incorporate the above subjects into a strong comprehensive program infused with the visual arts.
- BA/BS or MA/MS in related field, Studio Arts, Arts Education or Teaching.
- Demonstrated technical skill in the subject or medium being taught.
- Prior Classroom Teaching Experience is highly desirable.
Application Deadline: 10/31/16
How to Apply:
1. Submit your resume
2. Submit a brief cover letter stating your interest and relevant experience
3. (Optional) A course curriculum or sample lesson plan
4. (Optional) 3 professional references will be required at the time of an interview
5. (Optional) An artist’s portfolio or portfolio of student work at the time of an interview
Submit to: Danielle Moriarty, Education Associate, at email@example.com