Maker Space Volunteers Needed!
December 2, 2016 by Danielle
The Umbrella Community Arts Center is looking for friendly makers to help monitor our Maker Space opening this winter! The Umbrella is looking for DIY'ers, makers, crocheters/knitters, inventors, coders, designers, artists and more to inspire and develop our community of future inventors and artists. Maker Space volunteers manage the shop, maintain tools, organize and clean, advise users about equipment, field basic questions and are extremely important members of our community. Key attributes of a successful volunteer are experience with Maker Spaces, desire to experiment, creativity to engage in projects with people of all ages.
To be a regular volunteer you will take on one or more of the scheduled 4-hour shifts. If you like the idea of helping us to build a cutting edge Maker Space, please fill out the application here.
This is an unpaid volunteer position, but there is a lot of opportunity to meet like-minded people, and be part of a new initiative at The Umbrella. Volunteers can accrue hours to get discounts off of classes
Available Assignments: 10:00am-3:00pm,* Saturdays: January 14, 21, 28; February 4, 11, 18; March 4, 18.Choose one or more dates.
*Includes 1-hour lunch break 12:00-1:00pm
Time Commitment: 4 hours with one hour lunch break
- Pass a background check
- Lift up to 25lbs
- Ability to take initiative and work collaboratively
- Highly self-motivated and creative
- Passion for and understanding of the maker space movement
- Ability to work with participants to expand on their skills and knowledge
- Experience facilitating activities and managing a space independently
- An understanding of basic hand tool usage with a keen focus on SAFETY
Technical Skills: (desired but not required)
- Some STEAM and/or technical knowledge (engineering, app development, coding, design)
- Computer Skills
- Knitting and Sewing
- Electronic/mechanical engineering
Interested? Email Danielle Moriarty, Education Associate at email@example.com